Reflections of My Journey

Today is the first full day of breaking my fast. One of the reasons I had to plan to break my fast today was my commitment to participate in a taste test research group for a restaurant. I'm so looking forward to the yummy food I get to try tonight! I'm really hoping it involves chocolate.

This morning I woke feeling much the same, but not too hungry. I decided to start with half a serving of cream of wheat and about 1/3 of my normal glass of milk. I ate very slowly, taking the time to really savor each bite and really enjoy the flavor. While I was eating, I also reflected on my thoughts towards food. I thought about how it was going to be easier to resist the temptations that have plagued me for so long. I finished the last of my milk, brushed my teeth and headed for my bottle of water. It's 1pm now and I've had 40 oz. of water! 

It's time for lunch now and I'm hungry. I've actually felt hungry for a little bit now, but have been putting it off with water. I'm debating what to eat for lunch. Yes, the thought of having juice has crossed my mind. Along with the thought of a small glass of juice in addition to a "real" meal. I think I've settled on a spinach salad with chicken (leftover from the BBQ chicken I made the family the other night) with some extra veggies and some kind of non-fattening dressing. 

I'm definitely more aware of my thoughts towards what I eat or drink. I've thought about having a can of mountain dew this morning, but I chose water instead. One thing I learned from the "Made to Crave" podcast was to only splurge when you plan on it. So instead of stressing out and grabbing the dew or chocolate, I'll save those things for a time when I'm actually planning to have it. Then if the time comes and I don't feel like it, I'll save it for later and make a healthier choice. I think that being aware of my compulsive eating, I'll be able to control it much better. For instance, tonight I plan on eating some foods that I know won't be the best for me. I don't know exactly what I'm sampling, but I know it will be good and should involve dessert!

I'm off now to make lunch for the kiddos then to make my salad. Oh, and to find a recipe for a homemade olive oil based dressing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment