Book Review ~ Made to Crave

A few months ago when I started my journey to health, I bought the book Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. I admit, it's taken me a few months to get through it, not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I don't make enough time to actually sit and read. Let me just say right now, if you've ever struggled with food, this book is for you. It is written from a Christian perspective with a big emphasis on the spiritual aspect of food. I never realized how much God cared about my relationship with food.
Has food become more about frustration than fulfillment? The New York Times bestselling release Made to Crave is the missing link between a woman’s desire to be healthy and the spiritual empowerment necessary to make that happen. Author Lysa TerKeurst personally understands the battle that women face. In Made to Crave, she will help you:
  • Break the cycle of “I’ll start again on Monday,” and feel good about yourself today.
  • Stop agonizing over numbers on the scale and make peace with your body.
  • Replace rationalization that leads to diet failure with wisdom that leads to victory.
  • Reach your healthy goals and grow closer to God through the process.
This book is not a how-to manual or the latest, greatest dieting plan. Made to Crave is a helpful companion to use alongside whatever healthy eating approach you choose — a book and Bible study to help you find the “want to” in how to make healthy lifestyle changes.
Taken from madetocrave.org
The biggest thing for me was finding the "want to" to make healthier choices. And realizing that by using food to try to ease my emotional pain, I was cheating myself from the healing that only God can provide. The false sense of calmness a mountain dew provides can't compare to the feeling after taking a few deep breaths and quoting Scripture.

This book is definitely not a diet plan or a huge list of don'ts - two things that turn me off quickly. I needed something sustainable, not something that I can't live with long term. I don't need a set of meal plans restricting what I'm allowed to eat. My main goal isn't even to lose weight or look better. Sure, that's a huge side benefit. But none of that compares to the spiritual growth I've experienced and the overall feeling of being healthier. It's also very empowering to finally realize that I am more than this battle between eating right and eating junk. God made me to be more than that and He gives me the power to overcome it. And that's pretty awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment