A Breath of Fresh Air #homeschooling

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at the annal FPEA Homeschool Convention. We've attended two conventions before, but I had forgotten how refreshing it is to be surrounded by thousands of other homeschoolers. Not to mention the plethora of curriculum available to peruse in the vendor hall. Or the speakers explaining their products or just giving encouragement. And of course there's the time away from the kids for the man and me to enjoy each others company.

After a particularly challenging year of schooling - which is not quite over - this was just what I needed. Something to bring back the joy of schooling. Because let's face it, when the kids are ornery, the work isn't getting done, the house is falling apart all around you, throwing the kids on the nearest school bus sounds inviting. So this weekend was a time of renewal and reigniting the passion. I came home with a renewed desire to teach the four kidlets who call me mommy. And of course, armed with new curriculum.

Over the past few months, we've realized that several things we're using haven't been working. With a few goals in mind, I attended grammar and writing workshops and we perused science books. Imagine my delight when talking with a vendor about science curriculum and hearing him tell the man exactly what I've been trying to tell him. Elementary science is about fun, learning about what interests the kids and not worrying about tests or mastery of facts. I'm absolutely positive that the boys will join my enthusiasm in finishing up their current science books and getting back to a more fun, hands-on approach to science. In fact, I'm so excited, I can't wait to start!

Alas, we do have to finish up this year, mail off report cards and attendance records and put together portfolios. Then there's that pesky summer break my kids are sure to beg for. This week I'm going over work, filing papers, and making end of the year goals. Next week, while relaxing on vacation, I'll be able to start setting up the new planning software that the man so graciously purchased for me. I'm sure he had his own motives, including his hope that it will help tame my wild, unschooling nature and get the kids into a more rigorous schedule. I'm just hoping it will serve as a way to get the kids more independent and self-motivated. After vacation and our church's VBS program, we'll settle back into our work and finish up everything to meet the goals I will set this week.

If you made it all the way through this and are still interested, check back next time for when I'll share our new curriculum choices.




0 comments:

Post a Comment