Catching Up

It's been awhile since I've actually blogged anything and I've been making a lot of changes. Since the experience of my juice fast, I've made some lifestyle changes in order to be healthier. I joined a gym and now workout 4-6 times each week. I'm eating a lot better than I was. I've been asked if I'm on a diet or meal plans and the simple answer is no. If I'm truly going to lose weight, keep it off and become a healthier person, I have to make sustainable changes. Starving or depriving myself won't work. So I'm making changes I can live with. I switched from 1% to skim milk and cut my breakfast serving by half. Let me tell you, that was hard because I love my milk! I cut out almost all white bread and have switched to Ezekial 4:9 bread. No more sugary evening snacks! This is a tricky one for me. On the nights that I'm hitting the gym, I come home and have a post-workout snack and am satisfied. But if I don't workout at night, I'll want some kind of dessert-y snack. I did make the switch from ice cream to lowfat frozen yogurt so I can still enjoy a treat every once in awhile. Lunch mainly consists of spinach, avocado, hard-boiled eggs and other veggies. Sometimes in a salad, other times in a quesadilla. Basically, the biggest thing was taking the processed, refined sugary foods that I was eating every day and making them "sometimes foods." Do I still love a good mountain dew? Heck ya! But instead of having one (or four) every day, I'll have one every week or two. Another big thing was taking the time to actually think about why I feel the need to eat something. Planning out special "cheat" times helps keep "impulse" eating at bay. I'm able to tell myself, you don't "need" a dew. You want one because you think it will help you feel less stressed. Instead of giving into the temptation of satisfying my needs with food, I can turn to God with a quiet prayer asking for strength to deal with my daily stresses. Much better choice! 
Liberty playing with my 8 lb. "abs" workout ball

I am now eating to live rather than living to eat. I still feel sad about giving up my old lifestyle. I mean, c'mon, I love to eat! But I spent too many years justifying my habits. And if I'm going to spend hours working my booty off at the gym, I'm sure not going to wreck it all for a few moments of false happiness.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

Your doing awesome! I'm so proud of you! Keep up all your hard work!

Post a Comment